Our Adoption Journey

Our journey to start a family through the miracle of adoption.

Thursday 23 August 2012

The Art of Patience

I stumbled across this lovely quote and after reading it I could feel my soul being freed a little bit. Just what I needed.
After contemplating I kicked myself in the butt - twice - and then I reprimanded the impatient me. We live in an ever increasing impatient world, sprinting through our hurried little lives. We race to work and back, cursing at the traffic, we rush through conversations and hastily plow through our meals. We are so very busy, but in our busyness we make mistakes and poor decisions. We forget to take time out, to breath and to think. We miss out on the beauty that surrounds us and while waiting we get frustrated and lose hope.

So today I'm making a pact that I will become more patient. I am a nature lover and a country girl, so I will remember the lessons that nature teaches us. Instead of getting frustrated I will become excited and hopeful, and when we receive our little bundle of joy it will be the most precious thing that I've ever had, and more so because of the wait. I will remember that life unfolds at its own pace and that by being impatient things will not happen any faster. 
"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it open." – Arnold Glasgow

Some tips on how to cope and be patient while waiting for "The Call":

  • Spend time with supportive friends and family.
  • Develop friendships with other adoptive families.
  • Keep a journal or a blog. After adoption it is nice to re-read your experiences. You can share those experiences with your child.
  • Avoid, if possible, people who ask questions you don't feel like answering. Learn and acknowledge your personal limits. Don't permit yourself to be offended by thoughtless questions.
  • Grieve, be excited, acknowledge fear, and look forward with hope. You are embarking on the most glorious of experiences.
  • Be prepared with necessary baby items, but don't have a beautiful empty nursery just waiting for a baby. To walk by an empty crib/nursery day after day just causes added pain. Have the basics you'll need, but store them until you need them.
  • Set the parenting, child-care and infertility books aside occasionally. Indulge in a good novel.
  • Take an class / course. Pursue one of your interests individually or as a couple.
  • Keep abreast of life. Don't put it on "hold" just because you are "waiting."
  • Be careful of your diet. Now is no time to indulge in unhealthy eating because you're "waiting" and deserve an extra treat.
  • Use your time to prepare to be the best parent you can.
  • Enjoy the present. Take walks, hikes and trips together. Relish the company of your spouse.
  • Have faith, pray often and never give up.
  • Work hard, play hard and go to bed tired.

How do you practice patience? 

No comments:

Post a Comment