Our Adoption Journey

Our journey to start a family through the miracle of adoption.

Wednesday 19 September 2012

You're gonna be an awesome dad

Whenever you ask a girl what she looks for in a husband there is ultimately two things that always comes up:

(1) He must love children

                                   and

(2) He must love animals.


I met Riaan 10 years ago and fell in love with him instantly. There are a lot of things that I love about him, but as time passes I often forget about the good and as we go through hectic times and pressure I tend to focus and get caught up in the negative. The 2 years that we tried actively to have a baby of our own also did not help things along. We lost each other and our spark a little bit. Enough so that sometimes I would sit and wonder what happened to that fuzzy feeling in the pit of my stomach that I use to get whenever I laid eyes on him.

So, last night we quickly went to the shop to buy a couple of things. There were some bergies sitting on the pavement - a lady and 2 small children. The 2 little ones were sitting quiet as mice, drinking their juice. Living and working in the City we do unfortunately get bombarded by homeless people needing money or food, so we have almost hardened our hearts against these people because we just cannot help everybody and you cannot "feel" for all of them because that will leave you drained and your heart broken.
So we walked past these lil ones into the shop (the lady did not ask for anything). When we returned to the car, Ri opened the door for me (he still does that after 10 years) and then disappeared into the shop again. A few minutes later he came out with a dozen of soft buns and a packet of chips and gave then to the bergie. She smiled her toothless smile and the 2 lil ones waved at us as we left. My heart felt warm and fuzzy for this man of mine.

Then this morning my cell phone rang - it was Ri. He does not often call me at work unless it is something important or involves some plans for the day. I answered and he said "Can you please phone the SPCA?". My heart skipped a beat - we adopted our dog from the SPCA a couple of years ago and my first thought was that something happened. Luckily not! Turns out there were 3 big dogs trapped on the middle-island on the highway and it was peak traffic - so very dangerous for both the dogs and people speeding of to work.

I called the SPCA and reported it. This was the first time that I ever needed to do this and must commend them on their great service. The lady took all the details and assured me that she will immediately contact all the relevant officials. About an hour later she called me back to report that they did indeed manage to get all 3 of the dogs to safety. My heart is overjoyed. My fuzzy restored.

I am glad to have a man that still cares and takes time to look out for those less fortunate. I'm excited to think that I will be raising a child with him. Someday One of these days he will be a great dad.

1 comment:

  1. Aha, you have a special man. Glad you saved the dogs.

    ReplyDelete