It has been a strange, wonderful, sad, nice, long year. Reading through blogs and FB statuses I see that a lot of people are very glad that 2013 is over as it has been a hard year for them. For me, well... I feel a bit indifferent about the passing of 2013. Of course it is very exciting to start a new year afresh, but the 1st of January was only just another day for me.
As I look back I do realise that a lot of big things happened in the past year. I am not fond of changes, so how in the hell I survived all of them is a wonder in itself.
- At the start of 2013 I went back to Cape Town by myself as hubby got a job in the country and stayed behind. I did a LOT of tiresome and scary travelling to and fro and missed my husband and animals something fiercely.
- I almost got to work from home, then I did not, then I quit my job, got another job which I declined, took my old job back and ended up working from home. I am still amazed at how truly blessed I am because of this and how good everything is working out.
- My brother was diagnosed with testicular cancer. He had it removed and got through it. Our family is not very good with or acquainted with illnesses and it was a bit of a shock for us all. He got married 3 months later, so maybe it was a wake-up call for him as well.
- I met a lot of new people and made some new friends. Living in a small friendly town means that everybody knows each other. We had some really good times and done more than we ever had living in the City.
- I turned 35.
- My stepfather was diagnosed with colon cancer 2 weeks ago (note how I mentioned above how we are not very good dealing with this kind of news..) He will be going for the operation this month and we are making plans to get my mom and him here. They live in Mpumalanga all by themselves, so we need to relocate them in case anything serious should happen and they need help. I am excited by the prospect of having them close as we do not get to see them often and I miss my mom terribly.
- I got fat. This is a big issue I am dealing with at the moment. Over the last 4 years I have lost a bit of shape but during this last couple of months something terrible happened. I have rolls and folds where I never had anything before, my clothes don't fit anymore and I'm scared to hell. It happened in an blink of an eye and I'm not totally sure how to get rid of it again - no Virgin Active nearby...
- We were waiting for a certain phone call which did not happen. Today we have been waiting for exactly 1 year and 11 months. Please can 2014 be it.
I did not make any resolutions for 2014 and am not planning ahead, just want to live and enjoy everyday as it happens.